Friday, August 17, 2012

Wooden Crate Table, Day 3, Part II

8/16/12 (cont'd)

I will open this entry with an apology.  I forgot to take pictures of the two sides of the table being put together.  Actually, I didn't forget so much as I decided not to.  I figured, since I was doing the work, I couldn't take a picture of myself doing it very easily, and, if I just took a picture after I screwed them together, they would look just like the pictures from yesterday.  So I didn't take any.  You will notice, as we go through this entry, that Justice got feeling a bit better.  She came out and took a pic or two, then Shane came out and took a pic or two, also, so there are some pictures of me working, just in case you don't believe I'm really doing this :)

Okay.  So, we had gotten through measuring in the last entry, and now we are ready to cut.

BTW, these are the tools I am using:
They are awesome, and I love them.  However, I would have started work on my table sooner had they not been inside my garage with dozens of crickets.  I don't know why I am scared of crickets, but there you have it.  Shane rescued the tools for me, and I was able to build.

When you are sawing wood, it is important to protect your eyes.  This means you must wear safety goggles.  Yes, they look ridiculous.  A hunk of wood (or even just sawdust) in your eye is worse than silly-looking goggles.  You'll just have to trust me on this.  Just in case you are still reticent to wear them, I will post a picture of me in my safety goggles.
See?  You could not possibly look goofier than I do.  Get over it and put on your goggles.  Also, tie back your hair if it is long enough to get in your way.

Cutting is simple.  Just line up the blade of your saw with that nice, straight line you drew and go.  Nice and steady.  Keep the blade right on the line.  If I can do this, anyone can.  

It's also important to hold the wood still while you cut.  I am thinking clamps would have been a good idea, but I chose this winning method, instead:
And yes, I am building in a dress.  It was hot, and I hate wearing pants when it's hot.  Ideally, I think my work surface is supposed to be higher, but I managed to make this work.

Justice (who took the previous picture) was feeling well enough to come outside and get some fresh air by this time, so I put her to work sanding.  That's just the kind of mom I am.  "You're feeling better?  Oh, good!  Here, do some work."

With Justice's help, I attached the first four beams to the bottom on the table, using wood glue and screws (and clamps, which, by the way, are really handy for holding things in place).  

Then, I attached the two crossbeams, coming in from the edge just about the same distance as the width of one of the slats on the crates.  We think this will give us a good position for our wheeled casters.  I am still on the fence about whether or not to add a crossbeam right across the center.  Shane and Justice don't think I need one, and they are probably right.  I am not going to put anything very heavy there.


So, that's what it looks like at the moment.

The girls are all working together on some of the detail work, which needs to be done before we can finish the table and attach the casters.  When the glue is good and dry, we will sand the whole thing and get to work adding those cryptic details to which I have continued to allude.  Then, all will be revealed :)  I will update as soon as we have more work done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment