Friday, August 17, 2012

Wooden Crate Table - Day 3, Part I

8/16/12

Today, I decided to start actually building the table.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that, a couple of days ago, the kids and I plunked a big handful of pennies into a jar of white vinegar, in hopes it will turn a sort of turquoise colour, and we can use it to finish our table.  (Click here for more info about this)  So far, it still looks clear, but the pennies appear to be getting pretty grubby-looking.  I hear the process takes about a week or so, and, considering the other work we need to do on the table before we finish it, I think this will be just fine.  If, for some reason, the vinegar thing doesn't work, I will find a nice blueish or greenish (or blue-greenish) stain and use that, but I hope it works.  It would be cheap.  And neat.  And al sciencey and stuff :)

Wait...what was I saying?  Oh, right.  Building a table.

Justice stayed home with a fever (yeah, on the third day of school.  How much does that suck?).  I mention this because, later in the day, she rallied and was able to help me a little.

Now.  Here's what I did.

Remember how I had laid out the crates?  Well, when I did that, I made sure to look them over and find the best sides of each and decide which parts to feature on the top or side of the table, and which to relegate to the bottom.  I found, when I started to screw together my crates, that they didn't all match up perfectly.  We're going for a rustic look, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but I wanted the top to sit pretty nicely.  I did the best I could, but you will notice some inconsistencies.

I started out by standing up two crates at a time and screwing them together on the inside.  Like this:

I used a power driver and 1 1/4 inch construction screws.

I used the construction screws because they said they could be used to attach wood to wood without drilling any lead holes, and I am kind of lazy.  I also used wood glue, smearing it between the crates, where they made contact before putting in the screws.  I didn't think to do this right from the start, so hopefully those parts will be okay.  If not, I'll fix it someday.  I probably could have saved money by buying a bigger package, but the hardware store I went to didn't carry this size of this type of screw in a larger package, and I didn't want to run all over the Valley just for a few screws.

I tried to take a picture to show where I placed the screws.  Hopefully, you can see them (in the 4 corners).

I found that, in the back, I had to go in kind of at an angle.  Probably should have used 1" screws there, but I didn't have any.  One barely poked through on the inside of one of the crates, but I decided that wasn't too big a problem.  I also learned, through trial and error, to try to go in to the thickest piece of wood, whenever possible.  Those little slats are really a bit flimsy.

Now, I almost screwed the two sides together at this point, in which case, the main body of the table would be built.  However, while they were standing up like this, I was suddenly struck by the fact that, if I left them that way for a few minutes, I could use them as sawhorses while I cut my lumber.  This was excellent, because I do not own sawhorses, and was wondering how I was going to handle that.  Look how well it works:

At this point, I was ready to start measuring.  To determine the length of the planks for the support structure of my table, I lay out the crates on the tarp, just as they would be when the table was finished (remember the pics from yesterday?), and measured each side.  As best I can tell, it looks like my table will be about 27 1/2" x 27 1/2" when it is finished, so that's the length I wanted to make my planks.

Using my tape measure and pencil, I measured and marked, then measured and marked again.  (Isn't that what they say?  "Measure twice, cut once.")  I marked three dots, then, using a ruler, joined them to form a straight line.  See, Daddy?  I DID listen to some of the things you taught me.  By the way ~ shout out to my dad, who taught me how to use tools and build things.  Hopefully, I'm doing okay here.  It would be better with your help, I'm sure, but at least you're my dad, so I have all of that important stuff you taught me at my disposal.  Hopefully, I remembered enough to pull this off :)


I cut 6 (just shy of) 27 1/2" planks.  I realize this is different than what the tutorial says.  I thought a lot about how to build this part of the table, and I decided that, since we have a different plan for the center of the table than the original plan ~ and since I my building skills are kind of remedial AND since I stub my toes a lot ~ that I would, instead, place four planks across the bottom of the table in one direction (two toward the center to help close the bottom of that hole and provide the support we will need there), and two in the other direction to help distribute the weight and provide a position for the casters that will be slightly in and under the table, so I won't stub my toe on them.  I am really just hoping this will work, but Shane seems to think it will.  If not, I will fix it, but I am gonna give it a go.  

Okay.  I feel like this post is very pic heavy already, and I still have a number of pictures to go for Day 3, so I am going to make it a 2 parter.  Ending this here.  Next up: assembling the table!



No comments:

Post a Comment