Monday, August 6, 2012

Walk it out

Got up before the kids, put on my sweats and sneakers and went for a long walk.

*sigh*

It was not at all like going for a run.  And now my ankle hurts.  Damnit.

However, I hear walking, biking and swimming are the way to go for me, so I'll keep working on it.  Perhaps, in time, it will grow on me.

I enjoy swimming, but it is not very convenient, since I have three kids and don't own a pool.  Swimming involves a trip to the Y, which shouldn't be so hard, but it seems like every single time I plan to do it, something comes up.  I keep saying I will take the kids with me, so they can swim, too.  We haven't made it to the pool together even once this Summer.  I guess I have to try harder in that department.

Biking is good, and it is easy to take a kid or two along, but, this morning, I didn't want to wake everyone with the noisy garage door, so I opted for a walk.  In my running shoes.

Maybe that was the problem,  Maybe, if I didn't get ready for my walk thinking, "Damn, I can't run anymore," I would feel better about it.  I don't know.  But I do know that my running shoes are comfy and good for my feet ~ and I spent a pretty penny on them, so I ought to use them for something.  Just gonna have to get over myself and move on, I guess.

It's hard.  Who would've thought it would be so hard?  I just started running again a couple of years ago.  It's not like I was a lifelong runner.  I mean, I had run throughout my life, starting in high school, but there was a very long hiatus after the kids were born.  It just...I like it.  It made me feel like me again.  And now... Well, it may sound silly, but I feel a little lost without it.  Unfocussed.

I really have nothing to grouse about.  I spent much of the past year walking with a cane and anticipating knee surgery.  Now, I have found that I do not, in fact need surgery.  With lots of hard work, I have gone from walking with a cane and/or brace and not being able to take a flight up steps to being able to do pretty much everything I used to do.

Pretty much.  Or so I'm told.

I can't turn cartwheels or move furniture.  I have to be careful not to get to close to the mosh pit when at go to shows.  Even cooler (read: totally NOT cool) ~ I have to wear my brace, if I want to dance...and I can't stomp or jump, which is hard to remember when you're at a show and the music is loud and people all around you are jumping and stomping and dancing any old way they want.  Oh, and I can't run.

There's a lot I can do:  I can walk, ride a bike or swim.  I can dance, carefully, with my brace on, as long as I don't twist at the knee.  Recently, I was able to sit cross-legged on the floor for the first time in over a year.  And I can...um...knit...and make jam.  Not exactly the active lifestyle I was used to.

And that's just it.  When my doctor told me that I could do everything I used to, except run, jump, turn cartwheels, move furniture, lift heavy things...what he didn't understand was that THOSE WERE ALL THE THINGS I DO.

The hardest thing about my walk this morning was that it was slow.  I just don't like to move slow.  I wasn't built for slow.  I have no patience, I get easily bored, I tend to be jumpy...  A slow stroll is not my speed.  However, I am not up to speed walking, so slow stroll it is.  I can't help wondering what's wrong with me.  I ought to enjoy the fresh air, the sounds of nature, the nods and smiles form my neighbours.  Instead, I feel trapped.  I want to go, go, go!  I want to run, to hear the rhythmic tet-tet-tet of rubber soles on the street, to sweat, to feel the wind in my face and just fly!  I was never very fast ~ really, there wasn't a lot of flying ~ but there is just nothing like running.  Walking, especially, is nothing like running.

I remember how much I used to love walking when Justice was a baby.  She'd ride in her little stroller, and I would take long walks.  They were meditative, centering.  I've tried to approach walking from that angle again, and it just isn't working.  I think it's because, now, I feel like my whole life has slowed to a meditative pace.  I suppose that could be seen as positive, but I don't think I was ready to go there yet.  It's disconcerting.  I used to need that break from the hustle and bustle, whereas now all I want is a little hustle.

Nevertheless, I will keep trying.  I'll keep walking, and biking, and trying to get to the Y to swim (it will be easier when kids start school next week, I'm sure).  The fact is I have to keep moving, if I want to keep moving, if you know what I mean.  I think I might take up new hobby or two ~ something to engage my mind more, so I feel busier.  I'll take my iPod next time I walk.  Maybe that will help.

In the end, I have always felt like things pretty much always are the way they are supposed to be.  Life is just a matter of figuring out how to live and thrive and be happy when things change, which they do ` constantly.  I'll manage.  What I'm going through right now is just like getting a cramp when you're running.  I'll walk it out, and then I'll be able to get on with my life without running.  Eventually.

1 comment:

  1. Like my dad used to always say when we had physical obstacles: "It's all part of growing up." Sad, but true.

    I can't do many of the things I used to do all the time, too. I used to be very, very angry about that. "Why me!?"

    I've learned to pick my battles. I walk. I can't run. I use my walks as ME time. I have learned to make these walks something that I do for myself. I play my favorite music; I have made playlists for faster walking, wonderful classical pieces to suit the weather or my mood. I walk to get exercise, but I also walk to think. To plan. To breathe in fresh air. To enjoy the silence, and de-stress. Day to day life is pretty crazy in my home, so I take this time to peace-out. My kids and my husband are all for it, too.

    Slowing down doesn't mean you aren't hip, anymore. It does not mean you are now stagnant. The body needs to slow down every day. Think of your walks as allowing your body to recharge itself. Slow down and smell the roses... or the mimosa, or the pine.

    ReplyDelete